Decoding Job Descriptions
Why are we here?
- Build your confidence when looking and applying for jobs by going through actual job postings and understand which you are qualified for and actually want
- Conclude by taking a dive into what employers want and going through job postings you may be struggling with
Actual jobs = job description?
Variables of a good job description? Variables of a bad description?
Should we take take job descriptions verbatim?
Have you played the Keyword Game?
= Keyword Game
What’s the opposite of the Keyword Game?
Do your HW!
- Find the narrative and does it speak to you?
Dig a bit more into their work, code, and team
- LI, GitHub, FB, Twitter, Meetups, and community
- Put time into the application process
- Reciprocal interview
What do employers want?
- Proof of work
- Ability to learn and grow
- Individual and team projects
- What value do you bring to their story