Diversity & Inclusion
Suncoast Developers Guild is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive environment.
We believe in making technology more open and available to all groups that face barriers in the tech community, including women, people of color, and the LGBTQIA community.
We offer free code education for kids because we believe in investing in the local tech economy for the long-run, and that means impacting the next generation.
Diversity in Tech
Why? It makes sense…
- Diverse teams outperform homogeneous groups on creative problem-solving exercises.
- Diverse teams are more creative because creativity is usually a reflection of people’s backgrounds.
- Diverse teams of people bring faster/better ways of solving problems.
- Diverse companies perform better.
- Diverse companies better serve a diverse user base and build more effective products.
We only stand to improve the quality and impact of our products if the people building them are representative of the user base and reflect the same diversity of demography, culture, life experiences and interests that makes our community so vibrant.
- Tracy Chou, Former Software Engineer @Pinterest
An inclusive environment…
- Creates a positive and nurturing environment where individuals feel safe being themselves.
- Provides a place where no one is excluded.
- Recognizes that each individual is unique.
- Moves beyond tolerance, to celebrating & embracing individual differences.
- Offers mutual respect for qualities & experiences that are different from our own.
- Recognizes that no one is intrinsically superior to another.
- Allows working together to remove all forms of discrimination.
How can we be more inclusive?
- Show respect to everyone (in person and online communication).
- Think before you speak.
- Talk to people who are not like you.
- Ask someone to lunch or for a walk who you perceive as different from you.
- Create diverse working teams.
- If you see someone who isn't a part of the mix, invite them in.
- Be mindful of hurtful humor. If a person or group of people are the punchline of a joke, don’t say it.