Note: This document is a work in progress. You can help improve it.
Freelancing Resources & Pro Tips to Get Hired
What is freelance?
Self-employed, independent, contract
Taxes and Accounting
Where to Find Work
Organization & Communication is Key
Set Clear Expectations and Deadlines
- Contract Templates
How will you communicate?
- Cadence and medium of meetings
- Response time
- Over communicate
The prevention of the progress, success, or fulfillment of something
Customer Service is Essential
- Send a proposal that is fair to the client and you
- Sample proposals
- Determine your hourly rate
- How long will the project take
- Send thank yous
- Send weekly updates
- Notifications of deployments or features
- Check your email everyday
- Send invoices
A great marketing and lead gen tool
Marketing and Lead Generator Ideas
- Satisfied clients
- Meetups and presentations
- Other freelancers and your network
- Social media strategy
Pro Tips to Get Hired
Freelance & full-time
- Did you find the narrative?
- Did you visit their social media sites?
- Do you understand the work they are building?
- Do you know what the work environment is like?
- Are you interested in what you will be working on?
- Are you excited to get started?
- How will you bring value to their narrative?
- Do you align with their values?
- Do you have the skills they are looking for or can you learn them?
- Would you be comfortable or thrive in this environment?
- Is this the direction you want to take with your skills?
- Have you asked all the questions that would set you up for success?
A meeting in which a potential job seeker seeks advice on their career, the industry, and the corporate culture of a potential future workplace
Preparation for the Interview
- Update your resume & portfolio
- Clean up your GitHub and show activity
- Proof any email communication
- Do a dry run of where you are interviewing
- Prepare questions both about the work and job
- Practice your pitch
- Get a good night’s sleep and have a healthy meal
- Manage stress and nerves
- Arrive 15 minutes early
- Dress the part
- Bring your resume
- Bring a notepad
- Ask questions
- When and how to follow up
- Be honest in your ability but showcase your drive to learn and problem solve
- When to ask for a recommendation
Every Interview is Valuable
Give it your best effort 100% of the time. You never know where it could lead you
Be Confident. Be True. Be You.
We believe in you. Believe in yourself. Go do great things.