Note: This document is a work in progress. You can help improve it.
Your Health - Self Care for Developers
What is Self Care?
- Self care is being purposeful in making sure that you are having your needs met, both physically and mentally.
- To practice self care is to prioritize yourself as much as you would family, friends, and your career. (Or whatever else you consider important.)
- Watch what you eat: Fuel your body so it can work effectively
- Exercise / Take a break: Even a short walk around the block can help
- Stay hydrated: Drink Something Besides Coffee, Tea, or Soda
- Get enough sleep: A rested brain thinks better
- Eye Care
- Glare-blocking tinted computer glasses
- Look away every so often to focus on something else
- Flux automatically adjusts your screen to mirror the outdoors, so that you don’t disrupt your sleep schedule
- Hand Care
- Body Care
- Standing desks: if your office allows it, standing desks are good for you!
- Regular stretching or walk breaks
- Chair Yoga
- Mind Care
- Short breaks between spurts of productivity can provide essential mental rest for overworked minds
- Pomodoro method (a system that breaks up 20 minute intervals with short periods of rest) with regular reminders
- Take a Day Off
- Between work, online tutorials, and side projects, it's easy to let programming consume large chunks of your 'off time', including weekends and holidays.
- Just for Fun
- Customize your terminal.
- Colorful keyboards!
- Get an office plant
- Additional Resources