Note: This document is a work in progress. You can help improve it.
A Whole New World
Today you learned a new language and will be starting to explore it more in depth in the coming weeks. Like any good craftsman, the first thing you need is to learn your tools. Tonight, you will be setting up your developer environment, creating a simple console application, and writing a short blog.
- Set up your dev machines
- Create a simple console application to ensure your machine is set up correctly
- Write a blog article to practice talking about technology
Install the .NET Core SDK.
C#plugin in VS Code.
To verify everything was installed correctly, run
dotnet -vin your terminal.
You should already have Ruby installed.
Simple Console Application
Create a console application that guesses a number that a user has thought of ,between 1 and 100. This will use a
binary searchto guess the correct number
https://codepen.io/ambethia/pen/KNewBb. NOTE You will be translating this from the event driven paradigm of HTML to the more procedural paradigm of a console application.
For Explorer Mode, you do not have to put in menu or other user experience "nice to haves", focus on the just the core algorithm.
- We have tackled front end development and are about to tackle a new language. You have grown as a developer and a person in the last 7 weeks. Pick one topic and create a blog post about it on Medium.com
Pick 1 topic technically that we have learned and create a blog post explaining it to a non-technical person.
Blog about a struggle that you have encountered and overcome during your tenure here so far.
Pick a new technology that we haven't hit yet (or won't) and create a intro blog for that.
- Add a nice user experience to the console app. Include features such as
Welcome, press enter to start
- Eventually we will be using a MVC application structure. To prepare for this, refactor your code to have all your business logic in separate class and all your console interaction in the main class.
Ruby: Read and work through excercise 14 of Learn Ruby the Hard Way