Note: This document is a work in progress. You can help improve it.
Jurassic Park: The Lost World
In the last assignment, you created a console app that stores items in a list, which doesn't last very long. For this assignment, you need to update your old app to use a database as well as update it with a few new features.
NOTE: The Additional Resources section below is very helpful. Consider reading this after reading Explorer mode. Then make a plan for the assignment for digging in and writing code.
- Use an ORM to query against a database
- Extend your simple console app to use a database to persist data
- keep working through your capstone
- Create a simple console application that manages the dinosaurs in your amusement park
- Update your app with some new functionality
- Persist your dinosaurs in a database
- Replace your
List<Dinosaur>with a database. These notes should be helpful
- add the following 3 options to your app
- this command removes the closure number (setting it to a blank/default value)
- This command randomly creates a new Dinosaur. The only random values are name, weight and Diettype type
- "needs a sheep"
- this command displays the lightest dinosaur that is also a carnivore
- Wireframes should be approved today
- HTML, CSS, and JS are your main coding challenges.
- Start thinking and mapping out your ERD for your database
- Add a column called IsHungry (
bool). This property requires a migrations
- Add the following commands
- 'who's hungry'
- this command displays all the dinosaurs that have IsHungry set to false
- 'feed sheep'
- this command sets a specific dinosaur's IsHungry to true, but only if they are a carnivore
- 'feed salad'
- this command sets a specific dinosaur's IsHungry to true, but only if they are a herbivore
- 'who's hungry'
- Add a second table called 'ParkSections'. Update your app to allow 1 ParkSection to have many dinosaurs.
- Next, we will create our first API. Try it yourself